February 21, 2017
Luxurious, Nature-Inspired Hotel Opens at Brooklyn Bridge
Designed from the ground-up, the property cultivates the best of eco-conscious design and sustainable architecture.
The founder of 1 Hotels, Barry Sternlicht, explains the company’s core philosophy as: “The world around us is beautiful, and we want to keep it that way.”
The new hotel is situated at Pier 1, just south of the iconic Brooklyn Bridge, and has sweeping waterfront views of the Manhattan skyline and the Statue of Liberty.
The property features 194 guest rooms, including 29 two- to six-bedroom suites and The Riverhouse, its Presidential Suite, with most rooms offering panoramic views of the East River, the Brooklyn Bridge and the New York City skyline.
The lobby of 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge opens to a dramatic 25-foot green wall, featuring steel grating covered in hand-placed plants and creeping vines that will evolve over time, created by landscape architecture firm, Harrison Green.
Committed to sustainability and preserving the environment, 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge was built under LEED guidelines and includes the following green initiatives:
- The design of the hotel features a 54 percent ratio of regional and reclaimed materials, including original heart pine beams from the former Domino Sugar Factory, walnut from the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and pine flooring from the Old Crow Distillery in Kentucky.
- 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge operates a rain-water reclamation system that will reduce storm water runoff into neighboring water streams by more than 50 percent prior to the site development. The water collected will irrigate the park during summer months. (Roughly 5,000 cubic feet of water is projected to come from the hotel.)
- The property uses 100 percent wind power energy.
- The hotel features low-energy light bulbs, a Triple Clear water purification system, in-room recycling bins, and fresh dining offerings.
- 1 Hotels has committed to donating a percentage of sales from in-room dining and goodthings (the hotel’s mini bar) to Action Against Hunger, a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger.
- The hotel will eventually boast a LEED Dynamic Plaque™ which will measure and display the building’s eco-conscious practices in real time.
The interiors of the 194 guest rooms and suites were designed to honor the historical significance of one of world’s busiest waterways – the East River.
The most stunning feature is a sleek floor-to-ceiling sliding window that transforms the guestroom into an open-air den with skyline views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. Furnishings include a porous stone-looking table of composite wood, leather chairs and pendant leather lampshades. Many of the design details in the rooms are by local artisans, from the “crate” inspired, open-slatted wood closets, corrugated leather headboards, to the Fresnel glass light fixtures.
Other room amenities include:
- Custom hemp-blend mattress by Keetsa wrapped in 100% organic cotton sheets.
- On-demand meditation content by Biet Simkin, Meditation Leader for 1 Hotels.
- Marble rain showers with a 5-minute, hour-glass timer to remind guests to conserve water.
- A green moment – living plants and trees by leading landscape team, Harrison Green.
- Riverview hammocks (Skyline Suites and Riverhouse only).
- In-room yoga mats.
In addition, the hotel amenities include a fresh farm stand in the lobby, botanically driven cocktail program by Arley Marks, complimentary rides in Tesla premium electric vehicles, and valet parking for bicycles.
For more information on this exciting new development, please visit the official website for 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge.